Sunday, March 2, 2008

"I'm Just Wondering What 6 p.m. Feels Like."

What a classic line. Tonight on a show I was watching, Tasha is sitting on the couch and says, "I'm just wonder what 6 p.m. feels like." Seriously...I've totally been saying that these two months in D.C.

For a little bit of background information, for those of you who don't know, I quit college to work in Corporate America with UPS. I worked with the highest CEO and CFO's at UPS Corporate in Arizona. I'm talking multi-gazillionaires. My last boss made 400 times what I made in one year. It made me crazy. I was making them look awesome, while they took month-long vacations in Fiji with their family and their family's friends. So I looked into another career. Ironically, it ended up being the career I had initially wanted to pursue out of high school. I had been working 60-80 hours a week and finally refused to go in to work on a Sunday, and sat down and watched TV for once. And this commercial came across for court reporting. I signed up for the school, and five long years later....LONG years later, I am now officially working as a reporter.

But I have to say, the quality of life is AMAZING! I work maybe 5 hours a week outside of my home and can take a job if I want to, or can call in to the office and schedule myself out for the day if I have appointments. And the money...they definitely repay you for all the heartbreak and depression you go through while in school. It's absolutely worth all the trouble.

So, I've found myself sitting around at say, 2 p.m. on a Tuesday, completely unsure of what to do with myself. What do people do at 2 p.m. on Tuesday? I'm not a real TV show or soap person, so I refuse to get addicted to any of that. I don't know anyone here, so I can't just go out and have a late lunch or coffee with someone. So tell me: What exactly do people do at 2 p.m. on Tuesday?

No comments: